Mar 23, 2015

FT Island commences comeback with intense new track "Pray"


Idol band FT Island made their long-awaited comeback with a grittier and more intense full-length album, I Will, which I still have yet to download. The music video for the title track "Pray" was released on March 23 and it is everything I didn't know I wanted to see from the group.

I was pleasantly surprised by the change in their sound and I think I read somewhere that Lee Hongki had mentioned that this is the album where FNC finally allowed them to do what they want… Well then, good for them. And I can't believe this is what FNC has been blocking. I mean, listen to them! This track is glorious and I can't wait to listen to the entire album.

"Pray" sounds a lot like something One Ok Rock would produce, actually. Knowing that Hongki and the rest of the guys are close friends with the Japanese band, well, I guess the Takahiro Morita influence is apparent. And I am loving it.

I Will, FT Island's fifth studio album, was released today.




2 comments:

  1. Yay, I love this song, it's very rock, and in the MV, Hongki is facing them instead of having his back to them, which is lovely. The song reminds me of 30 Seconds to Mars as well as One Ok Rock, so it's like a perfect combination of those two influences.

    Regarding the album, FT Island have been asking FNC to release their self-penned songs in Korea for years, and FNC has gradually been letting their songs be part of their albums but never the title track, and never a full album. They had a lot more freedom in their Japanese releases, which is why their recent concert (setlist entirely chosen by them) was mostly the Korean versions of their Japanese songs, because they're the ones they actually wrote.

    So for them to have an album made up of songs written or co-written/composed by themselves is a really big deal for them. They're very proud of it, and we're all very happy that they've finally gotten to this point after 8 years :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too! I have a friend who is obsessed with One Ok Rock and she was the one who linked me to the video (I had no idea it came out already) and as soon as I pressed play, my mouth just fell open. I don't listen to a lot of One Ok Rock (only when aforementioned friend links me to their stuff) but I know enough of their sound to understand the comparison. And the comparison is not bad at all, I love this sound. I love that FT Island is finally being allowed creative freedom after proving themselves worthy time and again during the span of 8 freaking years. I don't listen to their Japanese stuff so this is a little of a new thing for me coming from this band, but I can tell Hongki is beyond comfortable and totally in his element in this new direction. :D

      Delete